News and Issues
If you have a news item or your own story ideas, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also accept stories that you have written about seniors and people with disabilities and their needs.
- Alcantara Court Apartments, 670 Valencia St. - Open Wait List: A 50-unit senior housing building will be accepting pre-applications for their studio units beginning Monday, July 23 through Friday, July 27, 9 am to Noon and 1 pm to 4 pm on site. Seniors must be 62 years of age or older. Maximum annual income of $38,850 for one person and $44,400 for two. Rent is 30% of income. For Information: Call Caritas Managment (415) 647-7191.
- Mary Helen Rogers Senior Community is a brand new low income senior housing project being built at 701 Golden Gate Ave at Franklin St. There will be 100 new units, 28 studios and 72 one-bedrooms. Application Deadline for the housing is August 31. Applications may be picked up from Monday, August 6 to Friday, August 24. Can also download application at www.chinatowncdc.org For more information call 415-984-1496. A list of application distribution sites is available at Senior Action Netwok, call 546-1333.
- Potrero Launch, 2235 3rd Street (Dogpatch area): Below Market Rate studios ($582/mo.), 1-bedroom ($624/mo.) and 2-bedroom ($794 to $1104/mo.) rental units available. 27 units are available at 30% Area Median Income ($23.310 for one person; $26,640 for two) and 12 units at 50% AMI ($41,200 for two persons). Applications may be picked up 7/23 to 8/21 at 500 - 19th Street or downloaded from the website. Also there will be information sessions--see website. Application deadline: August 21. www.bmr-potrerolaunch.com Contact: Bonnie Howard, 415-361-7404.
Senior/Disabled Housing in SF - Open Wait List: Woolf House III, 801 Howard St. - Rent: $515 per month or 30% of income with Section 8 voucher. Bedrooms and studios available with kitchen and bathroom; social services, recreation, and laundry rooms on site. Pick up applications at 241 - 6th St. or 801 Howard St. Contact: Tammy Anderson, 957-0227.
- 333 Harrison: Upcoming Below Market Rate Housing Opportunity: 30% Area Median Income apartments available: 29 studios ($582/mo.), 18 - 1 bedrooms ($624), 2 - 2-bedrooms ($749). Minimum monthly income: $1,455 to $1,872.50. Maximum income for one person: $23,310, two persons: $26,640. Must live or work in South of Market area. Contact: Juslyn Manalo or Theresa Imperial at 255-2356.
- Studio Apartments for seniors (62+) available at Martin Luther Tower, 1001 Franklin St - Open Wait List. Applications may be picked up at ML Tower, Mon. - Fri., 9 am to 5 pm. Call for further information or request an application: (415) 885-1084.
- Free Housing Workshops on Low Income Housing: Offered most Mondays from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm at the Independent Living Resource Center, 649 Mission St., 3rd Floor. Eligibility: Anyone who self-identifies as being a person with a disability, plus their relatives, friends, or workers. Sign Up: Registration is required; call 543-6222, ext. 100. No scents please.
- Landlord Problems: Call the Housing Rights Committee, (415) 703-8644. Counseling Hours: Monday - Thursday, 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
- Additional Housing Info.: Episcopal Community Services of SF, Aging & Disability Resource Center - Canon Kip Senior Center, (415) 487-3370, Amber Carroll ADRC Program Manager, 487-3378.
- Mayor's Office of Housing provides useful information:
Affordable Housing for Seniors in San Francisco:
From HUD website: http://www.hud.gov/apps/section8/results.cfm?city_name_text=San+Francisco&county_name_text=San+Francisco&zip_code=94115&property_name_text=&client_group_type=Elderly&bedroom_one=true&maxrec=20&state_code=CA&statename=California&start=1
Click here for latest Affordable and Low Income Housing Available in the Bay Area.